link to Home Page

Re: Challenge to Jim Scotti

Article: <6j1vfc$qkl@sjx-ixn11.ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Challenge to Jim Scotti
Date: 9 May 1998 16:15:40 GMT

In article <6itna0$hsi$2@news.ccit.arizona.edu> Jim Scotti writes:
>> A million AU out would not BE an orbit.
>
> Given an isolated system it sure WOULD be an orbit, and it's
> period, if it was just orbiting the sun, would be 1 million
> raised to the 3/2 power, or 1 billion years, so its orbital
> velocity would be a wopping 30 meters per second or 67 MPH
> - Of course, at 1 million AU, or about 15.8 lightyears, there
> better not be other stars nearby, or it won't be bound to the sun
> - but we were talking whether it is  possible or not and if our
> sun were outside of the Galaxies disk or in an uncrowded
> region of the Galaxy without nearby stars to perturb its
> orbit, it would orbit, just like I describe.

(Begin ZetaTalk[TM])
What Universe are we talking about here?  YOUR Universe?  Pardon us for
thinking that we are talking about YOUR Universe here, and not
something imaginary.  This discussion started based on a hypothetical
orbit around YOUR Sun and another 18.724 times from YOUR Sun as the
distance from YOUR sun to Pluto.  You are all evading the issue, and
putting forth solutions that are absurd!  You haven't won the debate,
you've avoided it!  Run and hide!
(End ZetaTalk[TM])