link to Home Page

Re: Zacharia Sitchin

Article: <6hag2r$hp7@sjx-ixn11.ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Zacharia Sitchin
Date: 18 Apr 1998 15:15:39 GMT

In article <1998041805104900.BAA17538@ladder03.news.aol.com> Randomity
writes:
> Could someone please present me with a cogent argument either
> in support of or against the concept of a 12th planet with a 3,600
> year elliptical orbit.

The second best argument is in the written and oral history of cultures
around the world, evidence that they have EXPERIENCED such periodic
upheavals, in 3,600 periods, approximately.  Velikovsky has collected
and presented many of these in his book Worlds in Collision.  Where
many attack the messenger, throwing all Velikovsky's insights out when
fault can be found with anything he said, these written records he
quotes were NOT done by him, and stand on their own merits.  For
instance:

Excerpts from Worlds in Collision, by Velikovsky, pp 39 - 39, The Most
Incredible Story .. follow:

(A) story is told about Joshua ben Num who, when pursuing the Canaanite
kings at Beth-horon, implored the sun and the moon to stand still.
Joshua (10:12-13):

And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had
avenged themselves upon their enemies.  Is it not written in the book
of Jasher?  So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted
not to go down about a whole day.

Excerpts from Worlds in Collision, by Velikovsky, pp 45-46	On the
Other Side of the Ocean

The Book of Joshua, compiled from the more ancient Book of Jasher,
states that the sun stood still over Gibeon and the moon over the
valley of Ajalon.  This description of the position of the luminaries
implies that the sun was in the forenoon position.  The Book of Joshua
says that the luminaries stood in the midst of the sky.  Allowing for
the difference in longitude, it must have been early morning or night
in the Western Hemisphere.

We go to the shelf where stand books with the historical traditions of
the aborigines of Central America.  The sailors of Columbus and Cortes,
arriving in America, found there literate peoples who had books of
their own.  In the Mexican Annals of Cuauhtitlan, written in
Nahua-Indian, it is related that during a cosmic catastrophe that
occurred in the remote past, the night did not end for a long time.

Sahagun, the Spanish savant who came to America a generation after
Columbus and gathered the traditions of the aborigines, wrote that at
the time of one cosmic catastrophe the sun rose only a little way over
the horizon and remained there without moving.  The moon also stood
still.  The biblical stories were not know to the aborigines.  Also,
the tradition preserved by Sahagun bears no trace of having been
introduced by the missionaries.